.

.

Mixed Media Wall Cabinet for Altered Oz 2013

Now that it is finished, here is the reveal of the wall cupboard, or is it cabinet? This is my mixed media and anything that was lying around was fair game that could be glued or painted and affixed to the interior "cabinet."  

closeup of shelves New End Studio Celebrate Oz 2013First is a closeup of two of the three shelves I made over for Celebrate Oz, the Altered Oz blog hop.

I pinky promise that all the photos were resized, tidied up, exposures fixed, etc., etc., and yet the photos are not as good as they can be.  It's one of those unexplainables.  If you see holes, that's the open holes for the screws to hang this cabinet on the wall.  I didn't have time to hang it up before taking the photos.  You can enlarge the images by clicking on them.

Linda Oma's of Olde Baggs 'n Stuft Shirts  is the Ringleader for this fun event.  Last year I participated and if you want to see the art and jewelry I made for that, just read this post.    This year the theme for Celebrate Oz is, "Altered Oz."  You can interpret that any way you like, so I went just a teensy bit to the dark side, not too much, no scary parts, at least I don't think it's scary- odd, maybe, scary, nyet.  This altered art is making me Russian, what????

close up bottom shelf 2013 altered oz New End Studio
Anyway, here is a closeup of the bottom shelf:

I decided I will put some of Lucy's paraphernalia in the cabinet, so there are just a few doggie type bits, although you could consider these a nod to Toto.

Magazine and newspaper clippings, ribbons, scrapbook embellishments, beads, curtain rings, rubber rings, fuzzy balls, and more are all inside the cupboard.  

For the door I used several layers of paint, glitter glue, ribbons, paint pen, and laundry marker. I took last year's clip art  and painting and made a color copy and then just accented those.

Celebrate Oz 2013 mixed media wall cabinet New End Studio
Wall cupboard in Mixed Media for the Altered Oz event,
March 2013.
Altered Oz 2013 New End Studio mixed media cupboard
















I was going to embellish the shelf edges and the back of the door, but I soon discovered that the door wouldn't close if there was anything with any thickness on it/them.  It will stay like this until I figure out what to fill in the open spaces on the door.

The cabinet was originally a stock oak type cabinet which I painted three times and sanded in between each coat of paint.  The door has a mirror on the outside which I left intact.  When it's hung on the wall, no one will no what evil/weirdness/altered universe lurks inside.  

There are about 30 plus bloggers participating in the Altered Oz  event.  I'm going to enjoy clicking through that list and visiting the others.

I've tried to end this post with a question for you as I usually do, but this is stumping me tonight as I write this on the eve of Celebrate Oz.  I'll say instead, "Take care and watch out for yourselves as you walk forward on life's YELLOW BRICK ROAD!"

26 comments :

Christine Altmiller said...

What a fantastic idea, doing this to a cabinet for your hop! I would love to open the door and take time to really study what is inside and see all the hard work you put into this wonderful world if Oz! Supercool, Gloria, supercool!!!

Gina said...

Gosh you certainly went to town with this challenge :D I would be tempted to place little dolls dressed as the characters inside too...especislly the wicked witch Ahahahahaha.....my pretty :D XXX

Ivy said...

Your Altered Oz cabinet is lovely, so many great images, love it. Happy Altered Oz!

AntiquityTravelers said...

ooooo! crazy on the inside! love it! what a great idea

Magic Love Crow said...

This is so cool Gloria!! Wow!! You did an amazing job! I love this! A+++ You did Oma Linda proud ;o) Happy Altered OZ ;o)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Gloria, this is truly an altered piece. How great is this???? Thank you so much for being a part of the silliness that is Celebrate Oz. I hope you enjoyed your endeavors and that you will get around to all the other celebrants offerings.
Over the rainbow, Oma Linda

maddyrose said...

WOW! Just look at all of the work you've put into this piece! Now this is one exciting cabinet! I've got to go back at look at it again, I know I missed something the first two times. Happy Altered Oz!

Nichola said...

Very cool!

Kim said...

What a brilliant idea!! so cool!

Beansieleigh said...

Wow!! LOVE your altered cabinet!.. And nice meeting you via Celebrate Oz! ~tina

James C. Wallace II said...

What an inventive piece of household cabinetry you've created! I really like this!!
It would be the perfect thing to hold all of my original L. Frank Baum Oz books, as well as my own published Oz works. What better way to store and display Oz than in a cabinet of Oz!!!

Carpe Oz!!!

James C. Wallace II
Royal Liaison of Oz

mxtodis123 said...

What an awesome idea.
Mary

Sunshineshelle said...

This road gets interesting and interesting-er... Love this little dark spot on this twisty turny yellow brick road, and how creative you have been with this altered vision :)

IrelandBrady said...

Beautifully done Gloria! I love what you have created ... very original and imaginative! Well done!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A nod to Toto is very appropriate!

April said...

This is a Beautiful cabinet!!!!!You have really gone ALL OUT and isn't it wonderful Oma Linda has inspired us so!!! I love the idea of the mirror on the outside as well. At the end of the movie, "Return to Oz", Dorothy looks in her mirror to talk to Ozma. Just a terrific creation!!!

Lucy said...

What a fun cabinet, that would be great to open up and see, so unexpected!

Miss Val's Creations said...

How fun Gloria! I love it! Lucy is a lucky girl to her her own OZ cabinet. :) The Yellow Brick Road can be a dangerous path!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Beautiful work, Gloria! I can believe the tremendous amount of detail you managed to include!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Now I want an Oz cabinet/shelf, too. I can't make something as beautiful as what you've crafted, but maybe I can write it...

mail4rosey said...

This came out really great, and I think it's a fun event to be participating in!

Additionsstyle said...

Wow Gloria, that is very cool! I love all the detail, textures, and colors. That is an amazing art piece.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing altered work! It has everything that makes my heart sing of Oz. Mina

Unknown said...

So when you close it no one has any idea about the secret scene inside? Wow that is just amazing and so much fun. Love it.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around, I've been sick but am having so much fun now.

I like your concept of ending posts with questions. Very intersting. If I had done that I would have asked how long it took to construct the yellow brick road.

Love your post
Hugs
Caroline

Linda said...

Hi Gloria, It I all amazing, what a great project, You did an awesome job and I love it.

Sandra Wilkes said...

This is so me! I just love it and got some news ideas to try. At my house if it's not nailed down or already glued it probably soon will be! Isn't it fun!