.

.

Challenge Won! Orange Marmalade Yum.



Truth.  Since the good old days weren't really good old days, I decided to challenge myself to make orange marmalade.

Why?  Ever since I was a young girl, I did not like the stuff.  Too many hard bits.  Too sweet.  Too thick.

Some years ago a national brand sold an orange fruit spread.  Lovely stuff. That company disappeared.

Another company sold a similar orange spread.  The product went through lots of mutations and it got to a point that the spread/jam was pretty much not recognizable as an orange marmalade type of spread.  This happened with a couple of companies.  Yuck.  

Now that a national brand stopped selling their version of orange marmalade, I had to find a replacement.





Don't these look pretty?  I was over the moon that I could make orange marmalade and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Pun intended!

What I give you here is not a detailed recipe. Oh, no.





I read several recipes online and found that their versions reminded me of the stuff from my childhood; hard, dark and thick.  Sorry, not my preference.

I took the basic ideas and morphed them into these golden, glorious jars, filled with orange goodness.   It was a several hours long process, but so worth the effort.



Two large seedless (not Naval) oranges.  Zest and tiny bits of lemon along with some lemon juice.  Water and not a lot of sugar.  Boil away until the peel and orange is soft and lovely.  Pour into jars. Leave to cool with the lids off.  Then put the lids on and store in the fridge.



This is an image of the jars and lids in a big stainless steel bowl with boiled water.








See that I cut away the white pith, which makes the marmalade less bitter tasting.

I put on a couple of cds and got to work.  Patsy Cline didn't think I was crazy! lol  You know the song?


Dive right in!  If you have a personal challenge decide to go for it too!

2 comments :

Magic Love Crow said...

Well done Gloria!!! Looks so good! I have to admit to you, I don't like orange marmalade either! LOL! My mom loves it! Yucky! LOL! But, yours looks so yummy! You put a lot of work into this! You and Patsy Cline! LOL! Big Hugs!

Gloria said...

Me and Ms. Cline make tasty marm. It's time to make it again. I hated the thick peels, so make it to suit me. Go ahead and give it a try! lol