.

.

Tissue... I Don't Even Know You Pretty Hankie

Tissue?!  I don't even know you.  badadump  Very old and sad play on words there.

I received this clever and CUTE hankie/hanky/handkerchief what do you call it? in the mail a few days ago.  It's from a seller on etsy,  Miss Crafty2 who has some of these in a few different hanky designs. When I saw it I had to buy it if just to keep as a pretty Christmas decoration.  Can you read the poem on the tag she wrote?  (Click the image to enlarge it.)

Recently  I've been looking online for hankies and have found so many gorgeous new and vintage ones for sale.  It's also sentimental to find the vintage children's hankies with older designs before electronics and Big Brother began taking control.

The artwork on some of the art deco boxes just wants to leap into my shopping cart, but I have to be strong and resist.  Some of the box covers would look great framed, and the hankie, too.

Such a little thing, the hanky, a servant and a thing of beauty at the same time.  It's also handy when needed.

If it wasn't an ick factor, would you prefer a hanky or a paper tissue for everyday use?  Do you have any heirloom hankies such as from a wedding or shower?

7 comments :

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I know it is not "green" but I much prefer the throw away paper tissues which I feel prevent the spread of germs.

I do have some hankies that were gifts or passed down to me, but I don't use them.

IrelandBrady said...

I too have some very old hand painted, some hand embroidered handkerchiefs that are in boxes somewhere safe in this house. But I, like CraftyMoose, prefer tissues because of germ issues.

Celestina Marie said...

This is so cute Gloria but I too prefer a tissue and I collect pretty vintage hankies and display them in a vintage spoon rack. My grandma crocheted around the edge of many and they are very special in my collection. I would never sneeze into one of those. LOL

Hugs, Celestina Marie

Gloria said...

I should have bought stock in Scotties for all the tissues I use, darn allergies.

The consensus is use tissues and hankies for sentimental and display reasons. Thanks everyone!

Magic Love Crow said...

Hi Gloria ;o) I love this hankie ornament and I love the saying! You are right, some of the vintage hankies are so beautiful! I have some and what I use them for is for dollies. Put them under something special ;o) So I can enjoy them everyday ;o) Hugs ;o)

Magic Love Crow said...

Oh yes, I prefer tissue too ;o)

Gloria said...

Hi Stacy, I like that doily idea, most of my hankies, the ones I still have are packed away somewhere in the depths of the basement. One of these days I will empty the boxes, well not one of these days, probably weeks and weeks- it's chilly down there right now.