.

.

The Bride Gets an Inkjet Copy Transfer and Secret Santa Aceo

There's a lady underneath the old washcloth.  She's going to get a good scrubbing and then she will be fit for entertaining visitors- that would be you.  Why is she covered up?  This lady is an Inkjet Copy Transfer and this is her virgin excursion.  That would be my first attempt with the transfer process and I think the end result is fair considering that.




If you want to try this process too, this is what I did:

Little by little the lady is revealed.
First make your copy on the copier.  All of the info I read said that you could not use a regular inkjet copy, that you must use an inkjet toner based copy, and not a laser copy.  I used a regular inkjet copy.  My image is graciously and generously provided by the terrific Karen at Graphics Fairy.   The image is of a bride in a blue dress and can be found here.  Linking this to the Brag Monday post here and to IA theme  here.

The second step was to paint a 5x7 canvas panel with acrylic paint and let it dry thoroughly.  You don't have to paint your panel and you could use a different surface, wood for example.  Put something under the panel to protect  your counters or desk if you need to, I used waxed paper.

The third step was to cover the copy's good side, the side facing you, with medium gel; I used Liquitex Matte Gel.  Don't miss any spots.  Then take the copy and lay it on the canvas panel with the gel touching the panel.  I read that you could use Modge Podge in place of the gel, but I didn't try it.

The fourth step was to put more gel on top of the copy, cover it thoroughly and evenly, not too thickly and work out all the bubbles and creases with any tool or your fingers.  I used one of those plastic credit cards the banks keep sending to entice me to open an account and I also used my fingers.  Be extra careful not to move the copy.  It'll be wet and want to smoosh around.  Don't let it dance on your panel.


The fifth step is to forget about the panel until the next day, probably at least 8 hours or more.  When it's completely dry, you'll know.  The copy will seem to blend right into the panel, smooth, dry, and flat.
The paper even comes away in little peels.
The sixth step is to take an old dishcloth or washcloth, or something similar and thoroughly wet it and wring it out really well.  Then place it over the panel until the dampness has penetrated, not saturated the copy.  You don't want to soak the copy.  You may need to wet it a second time.  Then use your fingers or the cloth and start rubbing the copy and the paper will release while the image remains on the canvas.  This is better than magic.  Some people use a sprayer to mist the paper instead of using the cloth, but I think the cloth is a more even dampness than the sprayer.

You might say, she's not in the blue dress.  That's because the Chrome printing option kept changing the image to black and white, so I didn't stress over it this time.  I believe if I download the image and save it to my computer then the colors will be as they should.  Also, Chrome printing option didn't have the feature to reverse an image, so she is reversed in the panel, but as long as there isn't any writing it looks okay, otherwise the words would all be backwards.  I also could not resize the image using Chrome printing.


She needs a name, any suggestions?  I've made her look a bit wistful in a distressed setting with the look of old tiles as a mosaic border.  The word, "Love" is in a pretty blue.  She has not been varnished yet, I'm going to test the process again and try Modge Podge as a topcoat versus a Varnish and see which won't disturb the ink from the copy, which I read the decoupage glues would smear.  This new to me process has opened up lots of possibilities- transferring from old magazines, album covers, books, photos, etc.  Do you use this process?

It's been really dark here for the last week or so.  To get a better photo I'm going to have to make a lightbox.  I see a new project to add to the list.

The Aceo Challenge Blog wants your aceos!  A little fun linkup and you get to post a badge on your website or blog if your aceo is chosen as favorite.  Why not add your aceo to the group?  Once per month you can add up to three aceos, so no pressure and you have weeks to complete except this month's linkup closes in a few days.

I decided to be seasonally silly with my manipulated photo aceo.
That's my original photo of a squirrel in my backyard and I went to Picnik to edit and make it just as you see it.  He's perfectly positioned upright, kind of looked like Yoda before I gave him the red nose and hat.  Why not bookmark the aceo challenge blog and join in sometime?

19 comments :

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I have never tried this, but I like the possibilities!

IrelandBrady said...

Great info! Thanks! Oh, I see you joined me in the ACEO Challenge - Yes! Love your Secret Santa Squirrel ... he really is tooooooo cute!

Magic Love Crow said...

Gloria, thanks so much for this tutorial! I think I should try this sometime! Love your aceo for the challenge! I won't be entering one for this month. Been with family since tuesday. Just sneaking in sometime for blogging ;o) Hope everything is well ;o)

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Cool project. I tried something similar last week on a block of wood.
Following you from Katherine's Corner's Blog Hop :)
http://attackofthehungrymonster.blogspot.com

Katherines Corner said...

Wow, this is wonderful!! Hmmm a name perhaps she should be called joy. She certainly made for a joyful project and post xo

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! Happy Holidays

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your bride looks terrific! I second the name Joy!

Dee

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh WOW, this is amazing!!! And I love the name JOY too!!!
XO
Cindy

Gloria said...

Thanks everyone for the nominations, Joy she shall be, it's the season, too!

After reading Deb's post about the squirrel tails signifying a cruel or easy winter I took some photos of the squirrels, and decided to use one for the aceo blog. Anyone reading this on Christmas Eve, there's still time to add your aceo to the link.

Stacy, still hoping for Judy, how is she doing? You take care of yourself, too. Dr appt again yesterday, may get an answer soon.

Welcome Renee, thanks for following and hope to see you again. I do want to try this technique on wood, maybe as a heat transfer, there are a lot of great possibilities.

Hi Bridget, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks everyone for stopping by and for the kind feedback. Merry Christmas!

Tracey FK said...

That looks so great... I am just starting in with image transfers and am loving playing with them... hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that your new year is safe and full of bubbles and cheers...xx

Gloria said...

Hi Tracey, thanks and like you, I am going to try working with these again. Have a blessed and bountiful New Year!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Kathleen said...

Wow - this looks like fun! Thanks for sharing the details in your tutorial!

Priti Lisa said...

Great tutorial, Gloria! I love the end result...what do you think of the name Merry?
Happy, happy New Year♥♥♥

artangel said...

Such a lovely image, and a fab tutorial too - thank you!

peggy gatto said...

Thank you for the useful info!!!
Love your lady!!!

Lenora said...

yes i have used inkjet too - dont know why people insist one can't :-) Names: Asa born at dawn (Japanese) Danika / Danica morning star (Slavic / Hebrew) Nadine / Nadia hopeful (French / Slavic) Ameryllis fresh flower (Greek) soft and lovely!

Gloria said...

You're welcome Kathleen, it was fun, too!

Thank you lisa, that name suits the time and the season, too!

Yo're welcome and thank you artangel!

Thanks so much peggy!

Thank you for those pretty names and their meanings, Lenora! Nadia for the new year- hope; and Ameryllis is also very pretty, like lisa's suggestion of Merry. You've used inkjet, too- great; I just try and see what happens, even if they all said don't do it! ha ha This time it worked!

Chris said...

Hi Gloria, this is fabulous. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I would love to try this for myself. Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Gloria said...

Thank you, Chris. I hope your transfer will be one you post on your blog. I'm going to stop by and visit another nice Welsh lady! HNY!