.

.

Food is Love. This Apple Cake which is Awesomely Easy To Make and Will Have You Drooling Before It's Out of the Oven.


Food is more than nourishment isn't it?  We get to taste what was once out of reach, what is different, exotic, in short supply.  Those things which we are tempted by. New things, old favorites, strange combinations we risk trying.

Food is simple and complicated, too.  Sort of like opening a door to see what's behind it. Food is shared, coveted, desired, repulsing.




What we do with our food choices says, What?  
I  like you, here, try this.  
No, I don't eat fill in the blank.  
I can't eat that I'm allergic.  
Ewww that's gross.



aprons drying in the sun


Lick your fork and spoon if cooking is more than a chore sometimes.  Just hang up your apron.








I admit to getting takeout or a frozen pizza when I'm short on time to prepare a good meal, or just tired and frazzled from the details of life.  But, I often make the effort to cook Something From Scratch.  



With this recipe the house smells like a 
High Ranking Food Fairy 
spilled her 
Magic Meals Glitter 
all over me and soon the mouth starts salivating, no, DROOLING because 
This Time I Have Surpassed 
All Previous Efforts in Cake Making 
without even trying to.

WAHOO!!!






I share this recipe with you and hopefully you should have a napkin or two at the ready to wipe your face and fingers.  The fragrance of the apples, sugar, and butter will cause you to dab at your chin.  Bib time?




Apple Cake which is Awesomely Easy To Make and Will Have You Drooling before it's out of the oven

Here is what you need:

First thing to do: 

Melt 7-8 Teaspoons of Unsalted Butter 
(1 Stick/ which is one quarter of a pound) 
Let the butter come to room temperature after melting.  
Don't add hot butter to the recipe.  Cool it out of the fridge.
If using Salted Butter, omit the Salt in the Ingredient List.

Gather these things:

Two mixing bowls.  Plus another bowl for the apples.
Whisk or Electric Mixer/Hand Mixer or Power Stick Blender
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Wooden spoon or sturdy spoon for stirring
Paring Knife and Cutting Board
Baking Pan (I used an 8x8 inch square you can use similar round or square size)
Oil Spray or Shortening to grease the pan

Oven Preheated to 350F

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup All Purpose White Flour
  • 1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • Smidge, Pinch, or Dash of Table Salt  Just Shake It in a Few Times!
  • 4-5 Apples  Medium or Large, Mixed Varieties or all the same.  
  • 2 Eggs at room temperature.  (Take out of the fridge when you melt the butter.)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar, Use less if you like things not too sweet.
  • 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
  • Milk, not measured, to be added if batter is too thick.  Don't add cold milk if you can.
  • Lemon wedge if available or a Damp Paper Towel.
  • Cake Tester/Skewer/Toothpick whatever you have handy.




Get Started by Greasing your Baking Pan.  You can also Put a Greased Paper into Your Pan.  The cake is sticky, don't omit this step.  (Unless you want to scrape and soak, I wouldn't.)

In mixing bowl:

Measure and blend together the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt.  Sift together or blend well with a fork.   

Put into separate bowl:

1)  Wash, Peel, and Core your Apples.  Cut them into rough size Chunks or Slices, not tiny diced pieces.  Squeeze the Lemon Wedge on the apples or cover them with a Damp Paper Towel to prevent browning.

In the larger mixing bowl:

2)  Whisk eggs until they are nice and foamy/frothy.

3)  Add sugar to eggs and whisk again until they are well combined.

4)  Add vanilla extract to the eggs/sugar blend and whisk again.



To the Wet Ingredients:

5) Add half of the flour mixture to the egg mixture  and whisk well.

6)  Add 1/2 of the Melted Butter to the bowl and whisk well.

7)  Repeat 5 and 6 and stir well each time.  Batter will be thickening.

8)  If batter is very thick add Milk SLOWLY to thin the batter. You want a thick batter, but not pourable as in pancakes or a layer cake.  If you don't think your batter is thick, skip the Milk.  

9)  Add Apples to batter.  Turn them or Fold them in Gently so as not to break.  You want all the apples to be coated in batter.

10)  Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin.  Smooth out the top if apples are standing upright.





Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes, test for doneness every 5 minutes until you have a clean tester/toothpick/skewer from the center of the cake.  

Cool on a rack in the tin.  Loosen sides in 15 minutes and remove if you like. Cake is moist and custardy, I left mine to cool in the tin and it remained there until all gone.  

If your house is warm and humid, depending on where you live, keep the baked cake in the fridge.  It should be fresh through 3 or 4 days max, typical for a fruit filled cake.   

If leaving it on the counter, cover to keep the top nice and moist.  Eat within 2 days for freshness.



I used this same recipe and added Blueberries to the Apples. What I like about this recipe is that it is Basic, Simple, and Easy and can be adapted to your preferences.    




When I took the extra steps to use real butter instead of oil and not add all the wet ingredients at once to the dry ingredients, it made all the difference to the outcome.

I may have exaggerated a little bit regarding the drool, (only one napkin needed, not two). BUT, I did find the fragrance of the cake as it was baking to be extra enticing and I wanted it to hurry up and bake and then to cool enough for me to taste.  It did not disappoint.




Have you perfected a recipe and want to share?  Leave a comment with your post link. Would enjoy reading it.

Or just say, "Hi!"

                                                    

       This Recipe Featured at Sincerely, Paula         




    


4 comments :

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Gloria! This sounds so good!! I am drooling! I like the idea of adding blueberries to the apples! I have to try this recipe! I don't know if I have perfected a recipe? I have been trained by mom! LOL! Some of her things, I still can't do! Old fashion, with just getting to know how much exactly of things to put in, by just looking. I can't do that! Yet! LOL! I have to measure! But, at least I am trying! Big Hugs!

Gloria said...

Haha! I knew the drool would be an embarrassment but still, true. If you try it, let me know how it turns out for you. I wish I had some of my Mom's gift in the kitchen, well, I persevere. Hope you are getting healthier each and every day. See you.

Paula said...

Hi Gloria!! This cake looks super delicious!

Thank you for sharing it with my No Rules Weekend Blog Party..I have chosen this post as one of my Monday Special Features!

If you’d like to take a look here’s the link:

http://lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com/2016/05/monday-special-features-10.html

Have a great week :)

Gloria said...

Hi Paula, Nice to see you and Thank You! Be right over. Have a good week!