.

.

Paint Your Own Modern Art Directly on a Wall, Free $$ a Home Seller's Tip

That is one ambitious blog post title, "Paint Your Own Modern Art Directly to a Wall, a Home Seller's Tip." If I can do it, you can do it.  Maybe stripes, maybe swirls, maybe circles, whatever you like- give it a go. Why do it?  I did it to have something on the wall, instead of bare walls, thinking it was better to have a lived in look instead of a house with no soul look.  Also, I had the supplies so all it cost me was time.  There will be a follow up post on another nearly free wall art  coming soon.  The next one doesn't involve painting and is fast and easy.


paint your own art
Don't sweat the colors on the wall.  Make the house clean, tidy (as much as humanly possible), in good repair overall, and cross your fingers that the tide will bring in that one buyer who will make your next move possible sooner rather than later.  If it's meant to be, it will be- eventually.

Here's the deal.  If you have recently read the blog, you may recall that I am in the throes of decluttering, emptying boxes long stored, repacking, and setting aside stuff for yard sales and donations.


Added to that list are all the normal life routines, plus unexpected surprises (mostly pain in the neck ones) and others.  Now you know that I will not repaint my house inside and out.  It's already fairly neutral as I knew this day would come and I planned for one less job. So, let a buyer visualize their own colors, use the imagination God gave you.  Ranting at anonymous persons on HGTV!  


prepare wall to make art on a wall Which brings me to:   After several days in a row of being in the basement among the boxes I needed to come up for air and light, plus my mind needed a break from all the decision making of the fate of so many sentimental items.  Even the non-sentimental items were getting to me.

I had already taken down all of the paintings in the parlor and had this one blank wall that was nagging me.  I taped off a section of the wall and after cogitating on it while doing other things I decided to go ahead and paint it.



stripes painted on a wall mirror




I used ordinary acrylic paint from craft supplies. After painting the stripes, I didn't like the starkness and so I blended colors together and decided not to paint a border or frame, the floatiness looked better to me.   I used about eight bottles of paint, so that's eight fewer bottles to pack.  (Always intentional, lol.)


To make the wall even more memorable, I hung two mirrors off center over the stripes, first the round one and then the rectangle.  It's hard to take a photo with mirrors, these are the best I could make.  The rectangle mirror has the reflection from the table and window.

multicolor stripes on a wall mirror


Now, you may not like this painting at all, but my question is, "Which one do you like better- the one with the round mirror or the rectangle mirror?"   I'd like to know your preference.

Do you have a favorite house selling tip?



7 comments :

Miss Val's Creations said...

That painting looks really cool Gloria! I love the various colors. My vote is for the contrasting round mirror. As for a selling tip? Declutter and clean as best you can. This is challenging with pets. It's all about staging!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I like the wall painting! It's simple enough but adds a lot of interest. My preference would be the round mirror.

Don't really have any moving tips...When we got married, we merged stuff from five different places and I swore I would never do it again!

Lucy said...

Isn't that funny both of the above commenters picked the round mirror and I bet they are artists. I loved the square mirror. Funny, they liked the contrast and I think it is all about personality, I liked the square because the painting was more square or rectangular and the mirror 'matched' or was more in line with it, I did not like the contrast,to me it set it off balance and I don't care for things to be 'off balance' but see that is my personality. Funny, how we see things and feel them. I do love the painting on the wall, what a great idea.

Lucy from Lucy's Reality

Magic Love Crow said...

This painting is very cool! Well done Gloria! I am going for the round mirror! I love the contrast! I really think it looks excellent!
For me, when selling, keep it uncluttered and keep it clean ;o)
Big Hugs ;o)

Gloria said...

I actually liked the round mirror more, but went with the rectangular as the other frames in the room were linear.

Thanks for the feedback and the tips!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I think it is kind of cool!

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh! didn't realize your were moving? that is a really fun idea to paint the walls like that! love it