.

.

Christmas 2014 Traditions Yes and No

















There's a little dry spell here on the word front, what with packing, unpacking, painting, and other stuff. I looked back at my posts from Christmases past and there are recipes and videos, and lots of Lucy's precious memories.

This year I am going very low key on the cooking, in fact there's a choice of meatloaf or nachos debate going on in my fridge. I bought some sprouts and carrots for roasting, so I may jazz up the meatloaf and mash with some of those veg on the side. Try as I might, I am not a traditionalist when it comes to holiday cooking. Are you?

You don't have to know, nor care, who would? TMI that I still have turkey in the freezer and leftover ham beside it. (That's why meatloaf sounded good.) 

Don't we live in remarkable times when we can just retrieve food from the fridge/freezer? Unlike the Waltons.


This video with silent excerpts from 'The Children's Carol' a Christmas episode has Mariah Carey and a choir singing, 'Silent Night' in the first part. The last 60 seconds is a clip from the episode where the family and friends sing Jason Walton's Christmas song.  

Two British children, temporary refugees from the bombing in London, end up staying with the Walton family. Apart from the seriousness of the war, this episode is a reminder that things never stay the same, they often change and we have to adapt and accept. 
People and other loved ones come in and out of our lives and we come and go in theirs. 

I had the opportunity to visit Schuyler, Virginia some years ago. The 'Walton Mountain Museum' is located in the school. I had a white knuckle grip on my steering wheel driving through the Blue Ridge Mountains- something I'd not like to repeat. But, if I hadn't persevered, I wouldn't have talked to some interesting and likable people who love the Walton stories.  (Earl Hamner, the author, his career includes movies, tv series, and so on. Twilight Zone included!)  

(I feel a dry spell moistening up here, so I better wrap this up.)   
  
I leave you with my wishes for a 
Happy Holiday!
Hope you have a safe and peaceful Christmas.

Enjoy the sprouts and the eggnog!

3 comments :

Craftymoose Crafts said...

We are big fans of the Waltons TV show here and have watched all the episodes multiple times.

As for cooking...we do the traditional fish on Christmas Eve with my Dad. Christmas Day is always pasta (lasagna most likely) followed by ham with a pile of friends.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and all good things in 2015.

Linda said...

Oh my goodness. I remember the Waltons. I watched it all the time. Wow, where does the time go. I know, I am a day late but wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

Talk to you soon.

Magic Love Crow said...

I have to admit, it is usually turkey or ham for us, because we don't have it for the rest of the year, so it's a treat ;o) Walton's are a little before my time, but I do remember watching reruns with mom. It was a good show! Lots of meaning! Gloria, I hope your Christmas was peaceful ;o) Here's to a great 2015 ;o) Lots of love! ;o)