.

.

I am a thousand winds ... Of quiet birds in circled flight ...

Click on image to enlarge.

Can you see these words in motion?

I recently discovered this famous poem when someone asked about it.  I'd never heard it before.

I like to imagine that it gives some comfort to any of us managing loss and grief.

Whether or not it is true, I feel it seems generous and loving, giving great consolation.





This link at Wikipedia says that Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep was written in the 1930's.   There is more background info there, too.

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep 
I am not there. I do not sleep. 
I am a thousand winds that blow. 
I am the diamond glints on snow. 
I am the sunlight on ripened grain. 
I am the gentle autumn rain. 
When you awaken in the morning's hush 
I am the swift uplifting rush 
Of quiet birds in circled flight. 
I am the soft stars that shine at night. 
Do not stand at my grave and cry; 
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Clark Frye

6 comments :

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I have heard this poem read at many a funeral service during the eulogy. It is beautiful and comforting.

Know that I am thinking of you.

Gloria said...

It comes from a safe place and I had never heard it that I can remember. I'm glad it's popular and helping people.

Thanks for stopping by. It's slow going, but I am coming around. Doing things, and making decisions- eventually.

Hugs

Magic Love Crow said...

Hi Gloria ;o)
My mom read this at her best friend's funeral. It was so beautiful! This poem is so comforting!
Sending you big hugs ;o)
xoxoxo

Gloria said...

Hi Stacy,

What a lovely poem and to hear it from one friend to another makes it more special. Hope your mom has many happy memories.

Thanks for stopping by and I can use lots of hugs- sending some in return...

Gloria

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

This was frequently requested for prayer cards at the print shop where I used to work. I grew to love its universal message.

I just read your linked post about the rosary case and laughed out loud (though I actually love my sewing machine, I am convinced there is indeed an evil entity in its black heart).

Gloria said...

Hi Monique, you made me smile to know that older post made you laugh. I do have a way with sewing machines. arghhh LOL You, too!