.

.

The Victory Goes to Currants and a Scone Recipe

Quick and Easy Currant Scones

scone recipeI was in the mood to make Hot Cross Buns for Eastertime, but once I remembered the buns needed yeast as they are a dough concoction, I set about making scones instead.

You know about liking certain foods and not eating others, well for me that food I don't want to touch are the innocent Raisins.  I know, they are really grapes, and so are Currants, but for me, Currants are the only way to go.  So, if you want to make a substitute in this recipe for raisins either Golden or regular, go for it.  Any diced, dried fruit would work.

Quick and Easy Currant Scones
Makes about a dozen as pictured.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups Regular Flour
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 3 tsp Sugar
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • Little milk to brush on top of scones before baking
  • Currants, About 1 cup or less, depending on your desire
To rehydrate your Currants and make them moist and the scones even better, Put your currants in a teacup or small bowl, cover with hot water and allow to soak for at least 20 minutes.  Drain off the water completely before adding the currants to the mixture. Rehydrating them makes a big difference, you can do this for raisins the exact same way.

Stir Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Sugar, and Salt (all the Dry Ingredients) together until everything is well blended.
Add currants.  Stir to coat currants with a knife.  A regular table knife, not a spoon, it makes a difference as the spoon keeps collecting the dough and the knife will be easier to wipe the mixture back into the bowl.

Add Milk, stir after each 1/4 cup.  Let rest for a few minutes.  Now Preheat the oven to 400F.

Roll out mixture onto a floured surface with a rolling pin or use a clean pipe or a floured glass.
If you need to regroup the mixture and reroll to get more out of your work, just add flour to surface as necessary so mixture doesn't stick.
Cut out your scone shapes with a biscuit or cookie cutter or a glass or mug or just use a knife.
Let rest for a few minutes.

Place in greased pan with sides of scones touching.  Brush tops of scones with milk to get a browner,  finished look.

Bake for 11-14 minutes.  Put them on a rack to cool.  Can be served warm or cold.  Slice in half and spread on the butter and jam. These scones go well with tea.  Enjoy!




11 comments :

Christine Altmiller said...

my mouth is watering!!! craisins...my shriveled little fruit of choice :-)

Lucy said...

Oh, yummy and I like quick and easy,especially since I have never made scones so this is worth a try. I am telling you, my husband is thrilled, you have given me some really good recipes.
Lucy from Lucy's Reality

Craftymoose Crafts said...

These sound really good! I'm going to try them for sure.

Magic Love Crow said...

I love scones!! Yummy scones ;o) Especially with jam and whipping cream ;o) LOL!

Magic Love Crow said...

Like your new header ;o)

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

O yum! I love baked things with currants -- just the right kind of sweet for me :)

AntiquityTravelers said...

looks yummy! and I love currants, and crazins :)

IrelandBrady said...

They look soooooooooo yummy! I always use craisins instead of raisins ... never tried currants.

Thanks for the recipe, will make some this weekend!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Mmmm! I have not had a scone in ages!

trishie said...

That looks yum!

Unknown said...

this looks great! Thanks for sharing