.

.

Corn Fritter Confession Plus a Quick and Easy Corn Fritter Recipe

Looking back, I could not tell you how many times corn fritters were part of the meal on a cold winter day.  Mom often made these as a side dish to her stews.  She was an adventurish cook.  Mom was Welsh, but we ate the cuisine of Italy, Poland, Ireland, France, Russia, Spain, and so on.  So, where she got the idea to make a Southern favorite, Corn Fritters or Corn Pancakes, I couldn't say.  I'm just glad she did.

corn pancakes fritters
After eating them at the stove, I had two more on a plate!
I recently took the plunge and cooked some corn fritters.  Why, oh why, did I wait so long to make them?   Not sure what you do, but I don't taste test when I cook.  I don't sample, either.  But, I made an exception for the fritters.

Here's my confession:  Yep, I ate three as soon as they were not scalding hot.  Right there at the stove, I stood and ate. That's not perfectly round- Eat.  This edge is skewed- Eat.  That little one- Eat. Mind the drool as I type this.  You know what?  I'm not ashamed to admit that I ate them hot off the pan!!!  Overindulgence once in a while is a treat. ♥


Quick and Easy Corn Fritter Recipe  *See Notes

1 can of Creamed Corn
1/2 to 1 cup of Flour
1/2 to 1 Tsp of Baking Powder (Skip BP if you want a very flat fritter.)
1 Egg

Heat a pan on the stove with some oil, less than 1/4 cup unless you are comfortable with more oil.
Beat the egg in a bowl.
Put Flour and Baking Powder in a medium size bowl.
Add the entire can of Creamed Corn, liquid included, into the flour mixture.
Add the beaten egg to the mixture.
Blend until all combined, no need to beat.

Batter should be like a thick pancake, but not dry, heavy, or stiff.  If you need some moisture, add milk.

Test the oil first to see it is hot enough by dropping a little batter from the edge of your spoon into the oil, it's ready if the batter starts sizzling right away.
Drop by spoonful, whatever size you are comfortable with, into the Hot Oil. 
Let fritter cook for about 3-4 minutes until Golden Brown, then carefully turn to other side (flip) to cook.

Remove cooked fritter to a plate, line it with paper towel if you want to absorb some of the oil, otherwise, eat and enjoy!  Pour on maple syrup or honey or use a sweetened butter.  I use just a little plain butter, and even without butter, they are delish. ♥

For a fancier or more complete meal, add to batter:

Shrimp or Ham  (cooked and finely chopped)
Onions or Scallions (diced or chopped)

*Notes:  I am hesitant to specify exact amounts of Flour and Baking Powder as this will correspond to the size of the can of Creamed Corn.  For the small can, about 6 ounces, start with 1/2 cup Flour and 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder.  For the average size can, about 12 ounces, start with 3/4 cup and 3/4 Tsp.  You get the idea.  Over the past few years all sorts of food products in the USA have been downsized (but upped the prices), so originally this was a can of 16 ounces, but shrinking as we breathe.

Now that Winter is finally being warmed up by Spring, what Winter food or beverage are you going to shelve until it's all chilly and snowy again?  Hwyl fawr Hot Chocolate.  Hwyl fawr = Welsh  for Goodbye.



7 comments :

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

I do love corn, but on a cob or as niblets. I just don't seem to take to fritters, but yours look so good, I might change my mind!

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh those look delicious Gloria! I can understand why you ate them hot off the pan!

Linda said...

These are the best. I could go for a few of them right now.

Thanks for sharing.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I have never had corn fritters but I love corn. We are actually making polenta this Saturday night. This certainly sounds like something I would love!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

It's a good thing I just ate dinner or I would seriously have to make these today! Cream corn is one of my very favorites! I guess homemade soup is being shelved until next winter. Have a good weekend!

Magic Love Crow said...

These look so yummy! I have never ate these before! Maybe I should try ;o) I don't think I shelve any specific food or drink. If I want it, I have it! LOL!

IrelandBrady said...

Oh boy! You have inspired me to make some corn fritters! Thanks for the easy recipe!