.

.

Land of the Giant Vegetables

Llanharry, Wales featured a Giant Vegetable Show.  Lots of huge, gigantic homegrown veggies and proud gardeners.  Here is one photo from the show, featuring Mr. Joseph Atherton, the photo is from Walesonline, see the website for the full photo show and article.

I chose the photo of the giant leek to show here as it reminds me of the time, way back when, when Mom forced me to wear a little fabric felt leek on my coat to show the IRA that I was Welsh and therefore should be safe when walking about London.

I don't know if the leek stopped an attack, but I still have the little leek brooch, don't wear it, but glad Mom was always looking out for me.

Her brother, my uncle,  was an excellent gardener and grew lots of veg which we enjoyed on our plates.  No pesticides, for him.    Fresh and flavorful. 

No comments :